Sunday, April 3, 2011

Working with Black Clay

I recently bought a bag of black clay just for the fun of it.  Glazes have different results when used on different clays.  I made a lot of pieces, but when it comes to the glazing part most likely I will only glaze half and see how they come out.  After I see the results I may change things in order to get maybe better results if by chance the first batch is a dud.  Below are some pictures I took with my phone, not the best but  you can see some work in progress.












And the picture on the left brings me to ask a question, do you like thin or thick pendants?  A lot of people think that because they are made of ceramics they are heavy.  And they are not, but I've noticed at some shows that people really take a look at them and sometimes just ignore the thick ones.  When I suggest they pick them up and feel how light they are it surprises them.  I think both thickness give the pieces different looks.  Thin is delicate maybe a softer look design on a necklace.  Thicker is bulky, earthy maybe more of a casual simple necklace with leather cord or swede.

What would you prefer to use in your work? Do you have a preference? Leave me a comment please and let me know what you think.

11 comments:

Spirited Earth said...

i used to work with black clay and also had custom dark clay made from the don reitz recipe..i loved it with vitrified underglazes but not so much covered with a glaze.
i prefer thicker ceramic pendants from stoneware but thin porcelain is amazingly beautiful

Yolanda M. said...

Thank you for the tip. Will have to try it with underglazes, was mostly thinking of doing just glazes. I guess I will do maybe 2-3 pieces just to try it.

You are right thin porcelain is so pretty! Thanks for stopping by.

Bella said...

Cool clay!! I like the thin pendants. The thin one looks like half of an Oreo. ;) Which isn't a bad thing

Yolanda M. said...

Bella, you are planting a seed here with the word Oreo, all I can think of now is that cookie. Thank you for taking time to comment.

aubepine said...

Beautiful! I love the textures Yoli. I work with delicate stuff, so I prefer the thin ones. :)

cindydolezaldesigns said...

I did some stuff with black clay. I couldn't find a good glaze to use with it. It was hard to get anything smooth. Lots of bubbles. Let me know how yours turns out.

Yolanda M. said...

Thank you Jen and Cindy for stopping by. Uh oh Cindy, I hope I can get some good pieces at least.... if not I guess they'll be turned into molds and stamps....

Diana P. said...

I prefer my pendants to be thinner, mainly because it is easier to wire-wrap the holes. Although I like to make stoneware pendants a bit thicker than porcelain.

And you're right about people assuming ceramic jewelry is heavy. I spent all Sunday telling people to pick things up to see how light they were.

Natalie -- NKP Designs said...

Those are going to be beautiful. I love the patterns on them!

Yolanda M. said...

Thank you Diana and Natalie! Oh Diana that's always a repetitive thing on shows, having to let them know they are light. I have my first two shows of the year next month... so I am excited and making stuff like crazy.

Gerry said...

Awesome.....Need a new kiln so I can play with stoneware!!!
I prefer somewhat thinner...but some of mine always ends up being thicker and they are nice also. You are right though..most people assume they are heavy.